Wednesday, January 15, 2014

This Week's Meal Plan

As you can see below and in my previous meal plan posts, I only usually meal plan for our suppers. That's because with only three of us (with one of us being 4 years old) there are usually leftovers for lunches plus I try to keep some things on hand to make quick lunches to eat at home or brown bag for work if there's nothing ready (an example of one of our emergency lunches besides sandwiches is Tuna and White Bean Salad packed with Triscuits for scooping and some cut up fresh vegetables).

We usually only have desserts a couple times a week. Sometimes it's a baked good that I've made, sometimes it's ice cream (I have a serious weakness for ice cream!), or some fresh fruit. For instance, this week we will likely have fresh pineapple which were sale for $1 each as a dessert one day and ice cream which was also on sale for dessert on another, as I didn't do any dessert baking this week.

I find it helps me enormously to plan out our suppers but overall I prefer to leave aspects of our food for the week unplanned to allow for some spontaneous creativity and using up random food items.

Sunday: Smoked Pork Picnic Roast (puchased for .99 per pound) with Mustard and Brown Sugar Glaze with Green Beans, Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Pineapple rings, and Buttermilk Biscuits

Monday: Leftovers

Tuesday: Vegetarian Pad Thai

Wednesday: Curried Turkey with Spinach and Tomatoes over Rice (using leftover turkey in the freezer from the holidays that I bought for .79 per pound)

Thursday: Black Bean and Tortilla Bake with Carrot Cumin Salad (using black beans that I batch cooked from dry in the slow cooker. I make 8 15oz equivalent portions at one time. This black bean recipe is one of our all-time favorites. The salad is a new recipe, hopefully it turns out!)

Friday: Tuna-Olive Croquettes with Fries and a TBD side vegetable

Saturday: Smoky Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (on home-made bread)


If you meal plan, how do you allow for spontaneity with food...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs